Create A Blog
For your first 23 Things assignment, you are going to sign up for a free blog account, select a template, and make your first blog post. Each week’s assignment from this point on will make use of your blog in some way, so there’s no time like the present to get started.
We’re going to be creating Blogger accounts, which are part of Google. Please do the following:
* Go to http://www.blogger.com/
* Click on the Create Your Blog Now orange arrow
* Work through the account creation screen – if you already have a Google or Gmail account, log in to it first
* Give your blog a name and a website address (______.blogspot.com)
* Choose the template for your blog. You can change to a different template and customize your blog later if you choose.
* For your first post, title it 23 Things Assignment #1 and then write a few lines about what you hope to learn through the 23 Things training. Then publish your post.
* Try out some of the editing and customization features in Blogger, using the tabs along the top of the window. Spend some time getting comfortable with using Blogger.
* Send the address of your new blog to the firstname.lastname@example.org account to complete your first assignment. 23 Things staff will take a look at each blog and post a comment.
Spend some time this week looking at other blogs, both library and non-library related. Try blogscanada.ca as a starting point. What makes a good blog? How do blogs enhance existing web sites? Are blogs a easier way for people to self-publish? Discuss these questions in a few posts to your own blog, or by making a comment on the 23 Things blog.
Congratulations, you’re on your way.
Check back here next Tuesday for the next assignment.